WHAT DOES ROMANS 8:1-4 MEAN?
There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.Romans 8:1-4
For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Paul says that based on all his teaching on being dead to sin (Romans 6) and being dead to the Law (Romans 7) there is therefore no guilty judgement for those in Christ [Romans 8:1].
There is no guilty judgement for those in Christ, because of what God did through Christ on the cross:
When Christ died on the cross, God executed His judgement of death upon your flesh (condemned sin in the flesh), [Romans 8:3]. God did this in the following way:
- When you believed the Gospel of Christ [1 Corinthians 15:3-4], you were baptised into Christ [Galatians 3:26-27].
- You died with Christ and were raised with Christ [Colossians 2:12].
- When you died with Christ, you died to the sin in your flesh [Romans 6:2-3].
- Therefore, you died to your sinful flesh [Colossians 2:11].
- Effectively, your sinful flesh was killed to you and therefore cut off from you. This is spiritual circumcision [Colossians 2:11-12].
- This killing of your flesh to you, is what Paul meant by God “condemned sin in the flesh” [Romans 8:3].
Since you died to your sinful flesh, any acts of sin done in your sinful flesh are not accredited to your account by God [Romans 7:17, 20].
Therefore, God does not find you guilty of anything [Romans 8:1].
When you believed the Gospel of Christ, God gave you Christ’s righteousness [Romans 8:3-4].
Since your sinful flesh was killed to you [Romans 8:3], your righteousness was sealed [Romans 4:11], because you can no longer sin before God [Romans 6:6, Ephesians 1:4].
Therefore, you remain permanently righteous before God [Romans 8:4], because God gave you Christ’s righteousness and that righteousness is sealed [Romans 8:3-4].